Saturday, November 13, 2010

Week 7 = Finished

Yesterday marked the end of week 7, meaning I only have 5 weeks left here.
So far I have:
-started seeing a daily caseload on my own (mostly)
-learned 2 new computer programs for documenting
-lived on my own for 7 weeks in a city where I didn't really know anyone
-worked on the ortho, neuro, cardiac, and med-surg services
-had some great visitors, and had a really nice trip home
-received an amazing midterm review

Before I leave, I still need to/get to:
-complete my final project
-see Work Hardening, Low Vision, and Driving Rehab evaluations
-go into orthopedic surgery (the surgeon I'm going in with completes mostly knees and some hips)
-take a day off to go meet baby boy Smith when he's FINALLY born!
-talk with my boss' boss' boss (the head of our department) about how I want to come back and work if the hiring freeze gets lifted!
-go through the final review process
-pack up my apartment so I can move home prior to Christmas!

Overall, I'm still really loving it here. Last night we had "Ortho Girls Night Out" - the ortho guys showed a little twitch of jealousy - but we think we'll let them come next time.
We went to a Mongolian BBQ for dinner - I love that I can put my own meal together since I'm so picky! You get to pick everything you want - from the meat to the veggies to the sauce - it's great to have the amount of everything I want in my dish and then watch it get cooked right in front of my eyes. Thank goodness I don't have food allergies!
After the bbq we went to "la cave" which was a really nice underground (literally, it's under the ground, in the basement) wine/beer bar. They have a whole wall of wall coolers filled with all different kinds of beers, and the wine list is huge as well. It was nice to just be out hanging out with people I work with - 5 of us went, I learned so much about the people I work with!


Monday I'm headed to a different part of our system to spend the day learning about our Work Hardening & Low Vision Occupational Therapy departments. The building is called the Walker Center - it's a shared area with University Hospitals. It's going to be strange to be outside of the acute hospital area for a day - but a good experience.
It's also going to be strange to not wear scrubs on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for the FINALLY part. :) Hard to believe you're on the downswing! Hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete