Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Week 5, day 2

Today was a good day - although a little crazy! My supervisor and I have started splitting up to see patients. I head out with a physical therapist (PT) so I can have someone in the room with me in case a patient is unsafe (or if I need anything or feel uncomfortable).

I had some really heavy duty patients today. One patient needed maximum assistance from 4 of us (my supervisor, myself, a PT, and a tech from our department). She was a great lady and really tried, but between her hip surgery, her spinal surgery, and her weight has a lot of trouble with movement (lots of precautions of movements she shouldn't/can't do, plus she's been in bed for almost 3 weeks so she is very de-conditioned). She was sitting at the edge of the bed and got very dizzy so we had to quickly get her back laying in bed. It was quite a session...

I had another patient that required maximum assistance from 2 of us to move in her bed. She broke her femur and has had multiple surgeries trying to fix it (at another hospital - just one at the clinic). She's also been in bed for over 2 weeks. The PT and I spent 54 minutes in her room and didn't get her to sit up at the edge of the bed without both of us holding on to her. Hopefully, she will continue to get better as she heals and starts to get more therapy instead of spending as much time in bed without therapy.

I'm so excited to head home this weekend! I'm starting to spend my time planning everything while I'm home - as well as packing for my trip! I have quite a bit of Christmas shopping done already so I want to bring those gifts home - plus Halloween goodies for Colton (and a few for Baby Boy Smith). Overall, this week is going well - and now only 3 more days of work before I head back to NY!!

3 comments:

  1. Yippeee!!! It was so good to see you. Colton brought his doctor kit to Miss Susie's, but he is really mean with the reflex hammer. He hits himself super hard! HA! You will have to work on that when you're home again! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaun's the one who taught him to hit with it! I taught him to touch the leg... Shaun was wailing on him with it! I pass the blame... haha

    ReplyDelete